Port Alberni’s Arrowsmith Rotary is seeking proposals from artists for a mural project near Harbour Quay.
The project is sponsored by Arrowsmith Rotary, in partnership with the City of Port Alberni, the Port Alberni Port Authority (PAPA) and Canadian Maritime Engineering (CME) and will be located on the large back wall of the CME building located at 3101 Bird Ave., across from the train station at the bottom of Argyle Street. The yellow brick part of the wall is approximately 150 feet long and 20 feet high.
The mural project will be based on the theme of reconciliation. A press release from the Arrowsmith Rotary states that the club “wishes to contribute to reconciliation with the creation of a mural that represents our past and future as a community coming together.” Arts and culture, adds the press release, is an integral part of reconciliation discussions.
All artists are encouraged to enter, but preference will be given to local and/or Indigenous artists. Partnerships are also encouraged.
Submissions must contain the following:
• Artist’s name
• Contact information
• A brief artist bio (250 words max)
• Artist statement (500 words max): outline the concept of your mural and how it relates to the theme described above.
• Technical requirements (500 words max): briefly describe what materials you will be using and how you plan to execute the mural, including any special equipment you will require.
• Proposed mural: provide up to three coloured images/sketches of your proposed mural, including dimensions.
• Budget: Submit a preliminary budget that includes: time, supplies and equipment.
The deadline for proposals is March 15 at 4 p.m. and the anticipated mural completion date is May 30, 2019. The artist selection will be announced no later than April 1.
Selection will be made by a committee with representatives from Arrowsmith Rotary, Canadian Maritime Engineering, Port Alberni Port Authority, First Nations communities and the community at large. Selection criteria will consider artistic creativity, how the mural relates to the theme, feasibility (technical requirements and budget) and previous experience.
Submit your proposal in person at INEO Employment Services (4908 Argyle St.) or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.